Monday 24 November 2014

Solidscape part 2

After a very very long wait....My print is finally done! but the process isn't quiet.... once the print is done, you have to take the build plate out of the very sensitive machine and heat it up to exactly 110 degrees before you are able to scrape it off. However the pieces still look like blue and purple blobs....in order for you to remove the supports of the pieces without damaging them, you then put them into a mineral oil and methylated spirit mix and leave on the hot plate to dissolve the supports. Problem with this step is all your hard work could literally disappear right in front of your eyes if you leave it in for too long as if the mix is hot enough it could dissolve your entire print. It was my first time ever experiencing a 3D printer in this case it happened to be a Solidscape... and I was astonished at the amount of steps there was to get one print done. This experience made me like the Roland cutter a lot more than I initially did. I hope the other 3D Printers are better....
 
The  Printing bed being heated so that we can remove the pieces

The supports for my piece being dissolved in the mix

My ring after the lengthy process


 

No comments:

Post a Comment