Wednesday 16 April 2014

Sculpting my future


My research has brought me a step closer to finding out how to proceed with manufacturing my sculptures. The three methods which I discovered were “add on sculpture”, “reduction sculpture” and “bronze sculpture”. The “add on sculpture” method requires one to create a base / platform and then add support structures.  The form is then simply filled with a variation of mixed materials such as newspaper, tin, foil, aluminium etc.  The “reduction sculpture” method requires one to create the basic form of their sculpture in wax or clay and then carve out detail into the sculpture. 

Lastly, the “bronze sculpture” method requires the full process of the “reduction sculpture” method to be completed, prior to making a mould out of the sculpture.  From thereon, the process is the same as the jewellery lost wax casting process.

In my opinion, the “bronze sculpture” method will prove to be a long and costly process.  The two sculptures I plan on working with are the “reduction sculpture” and the “add on sculpture”.  Below are some of the hyperlinks in which these simplified processes are demonstrated.  


No comments:

Post a Comment