Wednesday 12 August 2015

Plat Africa 2015 – Complete


Artist Statement:

According to Hindu scriptures, a typical Indian woman is meant to be adorned with 11 pieces of jewellery. Although this age old tradition is not observed by most. In this day and age it is no longer practical or feasible to be wearing so many pieces of jewellery at once. Hence the engagement ring still remains the most important and the focal point of all matrimonial jewellery.

My design was inspired by the Paisley shape, which in my opinion is a timeless fusion symbol which culminates the East with the West which still remains a relevant fashion symbol after all these years.  My thought process for using the Paisley shape as part of my design extends to wanting to create a ring that portrayed the merging of ‘two lines’ coming together as one. As this talks to the harmonious culmination of the couples love and commitment to each other.

According to Hindu beliefs, gold is symbolic of luck, prosperity and wealth. In an attempt to diversify my ring whilst trying to create a modern piece of Jewellery, I opted to retain traditional aspects to my ring by using a bit of gold in the design as well as an attempt to use fine ‘filigree work ‘ but modernized the overall look of it by predominantly using Platinum as the preferred metal.




No comments:

Post a Comment